June 19, 2009

Puncture plus ride

Journo bunny went for a solo-ride - I usually don't write about rides sans other biker-bunnies... but this one somehow warrants a mention... ;)

The ride itself wasn't all that far - 19km return to the Gosford art gallery (had a meeting to go to and decided to pedal with the first sight of clearing skies since Monday), but it dished up some interesting moments regardless.

All went fine down Kariong hill, breezy riding and fresh air. Main event along the straight stretch of the hwy was being passed by a suspicious looking Volvo (a backseat bunny rider ;)). I changed lanes to access the bike path through Adcock park & onto the bridge, but only got as far as Holden motors when I realized my back tyre was seriously flat. I parked in a fairly stupid spot (right in the entry gate to Holden), but having already up-ended the bike, I really couldn't be bothered moving, despite it turning into Pitt Street within minutes - EVERY car on the coast must have decided to go window shopping at Holden! Anyway, all is well when you have a puncture repair kit on board... Managed to locate the hole in the tube, and patch it up ok. Then came the serious swearing session trying to pump the stupid thing with the stupid pump... I was sooooo close to carting the bike over to the service guys and say: "PLEEEAAASE pump this!!", but finally (due to severe threats), the pump gave in and started filling the tube instead of the air around me.

Grease up to my elbows (puncture kit included a bunch of very dry and not very useable 'wipes') I was finally on my way again, and although Ferrari won't be taking me on as their new speed tyre gal in a hurry, all was well again and I got to the meeting - better late than never.

On the return trip I popped into the bike shop on York street and asked the guy to check my tyre pressure and give me hints on how to use the 'stupid' pump :) Very kindly the guy pumped my tyres and showed me how to use the 'now not so stupid pump' "Spit on the valve and it's heaps easier to attach the pump" Great - a solution! Swearing, spitting - I'll take whichever one works the fastest :)

And... as it happened, it wasn't long before I got to put my newfound knowledge to the test. Almost at the top of Kariong hill the back tyre was flat again! Luckily there was a bus shelter on the side of the road where I could pop the bike up-side-down to fix the hole. Even a bench to unload bag, water bottle and sunnies on... The back tube is now decorated with 5 colourful patches, maybe I aim for sharp things on the road? Patch in place and with the tube back in, I gracefully spat on the valve... attached the pump and whoooohoo it stayed in place! Pumping the tyre this time was so much easier, I even managed a smile to the 2 cyclists who rode past enquiring if I was ok :) Back on bike in a shorter time (Ferrari here I come!) and completed home run without any more 'moments'.

Now - getting a flat on a remote road with a long way to walk, is not all that exciting, I had to walk for an hour and a half a few months ago when I'd left puncture kit at home (yes I know I AIM for anything sharp on the road...), so I thought I'd throw in a repair check-list here of handy things to always bring (atleast if you're puncture-prone like myself).

Bike repair kit

Self-adhesive puncture dots (these are great, you don't need glue & they attach quickly)
rough sand paper or a fine metal surform (to rough the tube surface)
1-2 tyre levers (helps get the tyre off and on the rim)
a pump
a phone (so you can call and ask someone how to use the pump)
some money (so you can buy an extra bottle of water to help bring blood pressure down after using pump - or alternatively use it to hail a taxi...)
wet wipes (not essential, but may help if you plan to hail a taxi)

other useful things
raincoat
spare water bottle (always have atleast 1 full water bottle)
map (may or may not help ;) )
thermos flask - Lou bunny may be trialling one soon :)


Looking forward to our next bunny ride :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment at your leisure :)