August 9, 2009

A solo bunny ride

The Ride
5th August 2009

Bunny on board - Annette
Mindset - determined and obviously impatient
Research - not enough (see below)
Punctures - NIL :)

I'd mapped out this ride some weeks ago, thinking it would be a perfect pre-'spring cycle' ride, as it covers almost the same distance. Flu hit the fan, and before that there were paintings that had to be finished and rain that was determined to come down (in buckets). So on Wednesday I thought, oh I'll just try it and then we can do a multi-bunny ride asap (this is the determined and obviously impatient bit... :)).

The ride starts in Kariong and goes down the old Pacific hwy, across the Mooney Mooney creek and up to the Calga interchange. This part of the ride is truly gorgeous, bellbirds singing their heads off and practically no traffic. I met one other biker who was loaded up with what looked like camping gear, we hollered hello as we passed and then I spent the next 20 minutes wondering if he'd cycled all the way from Melbourne...

Crossing the Mooney Mooney bridge I thought "Ahh this is a great photo opportunity", so I stopped, clambered off the bike and took some scenic shots of the surroundings, then I decided that maybe I should take one of myself as well, but not wanting it to be too obvious I looked away from the camera as I pushed the 'take photo button', which made me look as though I was saying "oh get AWAY from me, don't take any more photos!" now that's a seriously deranged form of paparazzi - and for everyones sake I'll spare you the end-result :)

The Calga interchange takes this ride on to Peats Ridge road... this was the slightly unresearched bit. I'd looked at the map in satellite view (hinting back to the obstacle mudslide ride Lou bunny and I did a few months ago, I'm keen to see that the road is in fact a ROAD :) ), it looked very much like a road, so I was happy... Indeed it is a road, it's a 100km speedzone road with 2 lanes in either direction road! Loads of big trucks (similar "IHHHH" as the four-legged canines get from me)... After the initial "what am I doing???" I calmed down and kept pedalling happily, the shoulder is quite good most of the way and it is ok to slow down and even stop when you hear a rumbling engine coming up behind (even when this rumbling engine turns out to be 5 motorbikes :D ).

It was a little tricky to find the Wisemans Ferry turn-off, which involved a slight doubling-back, but once on the lesser trafficked road and on the home run (as this road leads almost to the end of the ride), it was quiet and back to singing birds and sunshine again. Took some photos of a big red flower (not sure if it's a Waratah?), almost landed in the ditch trying to stop for the "photo opportunity" (this paparazzi needs some practice!) but managed a not so elegant skid and came to a halt ready to capture the next moment.

A lovely ride which would be great to repeat with more bunnies!!



The Stats


Distance - 49 km
Riding time - 2 hours 56 min
Heart rate - 152 average 174 max
Calories burnt - 1730
Post ride state - asleep on the couch!

The Map

2 comments:

  1. I would have loved to have seen the 'self-portrait'! The red flower, though very beautiful, is not a waratah (and it is not a rose either), it is a guinea lily and it grows quite profusely here on the Central Coast. I DO admire you, cycling along with heavy trucks bearing down behind you - I would have been off my bike at the first whiff of diesel and I would have probably pushed my bike along in the ditch (or, I would have remained where I was, a quivering mess, wondering why I didn't have my mobile phone with me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha :) I almost put 'rose' as an option you know... Thank you for the flower information :)
    and for your happy comments!

    ReplyDelete

Comment at your leisure :)